Pectoralis Major Tears
Presented by: Dr Jerome Goldberg
20 year old male presents after he has injured his shoulder doing bench press and notices bruising down his arm.
He notices bruising down his dominant arm and feels his shoulder is weak. He has also noticed deformity/asymmetry of the chest wall.
- Tender shoulder & anterior chest wall.
- Deformity of chest wall
- Bruising upper arm
- Medial migration of Pec Major with forced internal rotation.
- Xrays and an MRI ar mandatory if you suspect this injury.
- This is a commonly missed injury.
- Surgery should be done within a few weeks of the injury if possible.
- A delay in surgical treatment can lead to an adverse outcome.
- forced abduction and external rotation in a football tackle
- pushing upwards from the extended position in a bench press